Home » Named Places At Camp Emerson

Named Places At Camp Emerson

Baden-Powell Lodge

Boyce Lodge

Bridger Campsite

Brownsea Field

Cahuilla Flats Campsite

Coil Campsite

C.J. Carlson Field (and Pool*)

Named for Carl John Carlson (1879 – 1963), a former Chief of Police for the City of Riverside, Scout Executive in Riverside County Council and Long Beach Council, instrumental for the first Idyllwild summer camp in 1919 and securing Camp Emerson in 1920, and likely founder of the Camp Emerson Tribe of Tahquitz.

Dan Beard Lodge

Dan Boone Campsite

Dembo Hall

Named for Jack Louis Dembo (1909 – 1991), a Scouting supporter from Palm Springs. The former Indiana Court Council Service Center was also named for him.

Camp Emerson

The camp is named for Claudius Lee Emerson (1872 – 1955), and Idyllwild banker and real estate broker who was so inspired by the original Idyllwild Boy Scout Summer Camp in 1919, that he provided land that became Camp Emerson, the Idyllwild Pines Camp (the meadow is the site of the original 1919 summer camp), and Camp Tahquitz, which is now the site of Riverside County’s Idyllwild Regional Park.

Lake Gallaher

Fremont Campsite

Goldware Campsite

Guenther Lodge

Named for Hugo Guenther (1863 – 1964), family owner of the original Murrieta Hot Springs resort. Former Riverside County Council President and served on the board of Region 12 and the National BSA Board.

Harris Campsite

Hayes Campsite

Jim Beckwourth Campsite

John Colter Campsite

Joseph Meek Campsite

Kit Carson Campsite

Langston Lodge

Named for Dr. Addis Alexander Langston (1905 – 1952), a doctor from Banning, California and supporter and philanthropist for the Boy Scouts of America and Camp Emerson.

Lewis and Clark Campsite

Mellor Campsite

Simond’s Flat

Sterling Grove Memorial Marker

Named for Sterling Miles Stolle (1971 – 1984), a 13 year old Boy Scout who died in a vehicular accident while riding his bike. His Mother was Silver Beaver recipient Sandy Stolle. The stone was donated by the Bruner Pacific Company. Installation was completed by Robert Covington and Eagle Scout Richard Covington. The original grove of trees did not survive, and the marker was moved when the Camp Emerson parking lot was expanded. A new grove of trees that has been subsequently planted is doing very well.

Swartzel Campsite

West Lodge

Named for James E. West (1876 – 1948), first Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America, Chief Scout upon retirement, and the inspiration for the James E. West Fellowship Award.

%d bloggers like this: